Monday, March 25, 2013

Happy Mother's Day

I know it's a bit late but I thought I mentioned what we had for lunch when my daughters, Emily and Maria, took me and my husband for Mother's Day a few weeks ago.


They booked us for a table for 4 at City Merchant Restaurant (http://www.citymerchant.co.uk) in Glasgow and we had a lovely lunch from their Mother's Day Menu. This is a seafood restaurant that has been operating since 1988. I heard about this restaurant but had never tried this place before so it was a lovely treat.

Inside of the restaurant
For starter, Maria had Butternut Squash Soup with sage and permesan, Emily had Shellfish Cocktail with Marie Rose sauce while my husband and I had Whisky Cured Salmon with capers and creme fraiche.
Butternut Squash Soup
Shellfish Cocktail
Whisky Cured Salmon

For main course, Maria had Roast Sirloin of Beef with crushed roast potatoes, thyme gravy and Yorkshire pudding. Emily and my husband had Pollock Mornay with a prawn and dill sauce. I had Seared Hake with a mussel, tomato and vegetable broth.

Roast Sirloin of Beef
Pollock Mornay
Seared Hake

To finish off the meal, we then had desserts - Maria and I had Chocolate Torte with raspberry sorbet and creme Anglaise. My husband had Tipsy Laird Trifle and Emily had due of Scottish Cheeses with biscuits, chutney and grapes.

Chocolate Torte
Tipsy Laird Trifle
Duo of Scottish Cheeses

We really enjoyed our lunch. Being fish/shellfish lover, it was also nice to have fish-based menu instead of meat based menu for a change. So much so my husband and I will go back there sometime soon to try their seafood platter which, according to their website menu, consists of langoustine, scallops, oysters, mussels, shell-on prawns and crab claws. (We actually got a good on-line deal for two x seafood platters with a bottle of wine to share so we are hoping that Maria, who has recently passed driving test and loves driving for every opportunity she gets, will come and pick us up from the restaurant after the dinner.....).

Emily and Maria paid our lunch, with their hard-earned cash for Mother's Day, especially Maria being a student too.  How grown up they are now to do this for us and what wonderful daughters I have!  Thank you, Emily and Maria for lovely lunch for special day!

Oh, I also checked the toilet, of course and it passed my test. It's a bit small with 2 cubicles and any more than 3 people around hand wash area would make one feel a bit crowded but it was clean. Toilets are in downstairs and corridor leading to the toilet was all decorated in tartan and made us feel if we were in a Highland lodge and suddenly you forget you are in the middle of city centre Glasgow or made us feel even if we were in Brigadoon but luckily we were not in a mysterious Scottish village that appears for only one day every hundred years!

For your information their website also informs us that they offer 30% discount on a la carte every Sunday (except Easter Sunday) if you book your table quoting code CMSUN30.  Menu looks nice and it caters not only for seafood lovers but also for vegetarians and meat eaters too.

I shall report back after we try seafood platter soon.

That's all forks!















No comments: