Saturday, September 27, 2014

Pizza at Nonna's Kitchen in Kirkintilloch

Having suffered from cold during the second week of my holiday, I went back to work the following week. I still had no interest in cooking, hardly any appetite, never mind doing dishes that kept piling up in the sink. My kitchen is always chaotic but at least that week I had a good excuse not to bother.
So my husband cooked dinner or went out to get carry-out for dinner whilst Maria tidied up kitchen as she couldn't stand the mess and we were running out of cutleries (and also she is a really good cleaner!).

So Friday evening last week I came home from work, still having cold, and said to my husband if we could go out for dinner quickly.  Maria said, "I thought you still got cold and are not that hungry...".  I replied, "I think I am feeling better...".  Besides, I could not be bothered cooking, to tell you the truth.

So we decided to go to Nonna's Kitchen (http://www.rivarestaurants.com/nonnas/about.html) in Kirkintilloch for a quick dinner.

My husband never tried their pizza so decided to try Pizza Puttanesca which has red onion, capers, black olives, roasted cherry tomatoes, anchovies, chilli and grated parmesan.

I must say that this pizza is really flavoursome, really tasty. In fact I am a bit obsessed about this pizza at the moment and so much so, we went back to Nonna's Kitchen last night and asked my husband to order this again so that I could steal some from his plate (as whole pizza would be too big for me and I could not decide between this or a pasta dish).

This is really yummy ...



Anyway, I love ravioli so I ordered Ravioli Frutti di Mare, which is seafood ravioli served with a langoustine bisque.  It was delicious however the portion size was so small that my husband thought that was a starter size. I finished eating all whilst he was still eating the second slice of his pizza!
The dish was £9.95.... they could put more ravioli on the plate charging a bit more...

Ravioli di Mare - more ravioli please .....?


As I was still suffering from a cold, I probably could not eat large portion of any dish anyway, however, still, pity about the portion size. It was a tasty dish, but I don't think I would order again because of the portion size.  Anyway, my husband asked if I want some of his pizza, I said yes without any hesitation and he cut me two slices and put them onto my plate.

That's how I came to taste Nonna's Kitchen's Pizza Puttanesca and I am now obsessed with it as I find it so yummy. I love capers, olives, anchovies (to moderation), roasted tomatoes, red onions and parmesan - so all these my favourite ingredients are on top of the fluffy pizza dough, and lots of them too. It's just so flavoursome, so addictive that I could eat it every day!

We normally do not have desserts but I still had some room in my stomach so I ordered tiramisu and my husband ordered sticky toffee pudding with ice cream, which we enjoyed.



We then had coffee afterwards to finish off our meals -cappucino for my husband and macchiato for me, both came with a piece of tablet. I like that.



Sorry, I moaned about seafood ravioli's portion size but over all we enjoyed the food and had a lovely evening.

I really like their Pizza Puttanesca now. I even thought about take-away from them for this weekend but their take away menu seems to have only limited selection of pizza's so I decided to refrain myself from going back there again - besides, that's like going there 3 times in 10 days ordering the same pizza!  That's a bit obsessive, so just as well....

My husband was contemplating to order Pizza Gamberoni that has king prawns, spinach and mascarpone topped with sweet chilli sauce but was not sure about the combination of chill and mascarpone.  Next time he may try this pizza and I shall order Pizza Puttanesca. By then hopefully my cold will be gone, I can eat this pizza to my heart content AND to my stomach content!


That's all forks!

No comments: