Friday, August 14, 2015

Powfoulis Manor Hotel, Falkirk, Scotland

It was my mother-in-law, Mary's birthday a few weeks ago. My husband suggested that we try this place called Powfoulis Manor House Hotel (http://www.powfoulis.co.uk) in Falkirk as that's where his parents used to go when they were younger...
It's a Scottish Baronial style hotel in Falkirk and the estate has been in the hands of the Bruce Family since early 16th century and for 10 generations, Wow!

Approach to the main entrance of the building

As we were entering into the entrance, we were welcomed by an unexpected rendition of hard rock music. 

We were then shown through to the large Adam Lounge with big fireplace to take seats. I wonder why it's called Adam Lounge. Their website informs me that the owner of the Estate in late 19th century commissioned the Scottish architect Robert Adam to build on the lateral wings of the main building. I wonder if this could be the reason.... but no, it cannot be. According to Victoria and Albert Museum website, Robert Adam was alive between 1728 to 1792, a century earlier.... very intriguing.


I have forgotten to take more pictures but the Adam Lounge also houses distinctive deep buttoned Chesterfield leather sofas, whose name was allegedly originated from the 4th Earl of Chesterfield (1694-1773) who said to his servant at his death bed, "Give Mr Dayrolls (his friend) a chair" and died but the servant was confused as to whether the Earl meant his friend should sit down or have a chair as a present (http://www.independent.co.uk/property/interiors/the-secret-history-of-the-chesterfield-2292342.html). Anyhow, the buttons on the sofa were developed to make the chairs more uncomfortable as expensive pieces of furnitures often belonged to rich men of standing who would often have people waiting to see them and so buttons were designed to discourage them from staying.
I thought the sofa was rather comfortable to sit on it though...


I asked my mother in law when it was the last time she was at Powfoulis. She said it was probably about 30 years ago and things did not seem to have changed as she remembered, however she thought the carpets are new, hahaha. 

Staff came to take our drinks orders and then also brought us menus for perusal. When you are at this hotel, you don't rush, just take your time and wait until someone comes and take your orders in this Adam Lounge sitting on Chesterfield sofas. 

Table D'Hote lunch menu is 4 course meal for £19.95 including VAT. That's not bad at all.


Menu is ... some may call it old-fashioned or I would say old school. It's a bit like stepping back in time.

Once our table was ready, we were taken to the dining room. It's not a big dining room but could easily accommodate 3 - 4 big families or groups.  We were a group of 9 including my mother-in law, Mary, the birthday girl but there were also another 2 big groups of families lunching too.

The decor is also very old school with very vintage wall papers ... feels like stepping back in time again or even feels like having a dinner in someone's house....  this all adds to an unique charm to this old Manor House Hotel.


Back to the food. There were proper melba toasts on the table with butter.  Mary noticed the brown table napkin and said, "This has not changed, in fact, I think we still got this at home.... when Peter (her late husband) took it home by mistake after having wiped his mouth as hanky."  I am sure Powfoulis would forgive this minor incident - surely statue of limitation applies, after 3 decades ago ....


Whilst enjoying our Melba Toast, our starter arrived. I ordered prawn cocktail. Classic.


Emily and Craig had pate and melon pearls with mango sorbet.



Next came a home made potato soup. This was lovely too. Someone else had Scottish broth which turned out to be a vegetarian version so we could have had that too.


Then came the main course. I ordered breaded haddock. I must say that the service was very attentive and the staff came with big plateful of selections of vegetables which you can choose, and as much as you want. I tried to keep veggies to manageable portions but others had huge portions of everything piled up high.


This was Emily's steak pie - lots of properly stewed beef....


The birthday girl, Mary, had cold platter of chicken breast and salad - wow, that looks good. Do I see some potato salad hidden underneath that cucumber slice....?


I did not take a photo but Rebecca's macaroni cheese looked really nice too.

After this, a dessert trolly came to our table - with selections of different cakes.



I can't remember what everyone else had but I had white chocolate gateau (I think...) with cream. I don't usually like white chocolate as I often find them too sweet in general but I though this gateau was not too sweet and I rather enjoyed it, so I finished all.


After the meal, I sneaked myself out to go to downstairs where the lavatory is to power my nose ... it was really clean so obviously it passed my toilet check, or should I start saying loo or lavatory check instead from now on ....

Stepping back in time in the lavatory too....
This is a place where time stopped, where everything stays as the way it is or how you would have remembered. Some calls this old fashioned but it's this way of old schoolness that has its own charm. I don't think we would go back again soon, only because we feel that the menu would probably remain the same and I like to try different things, but at the same time I am sure this vintage feel and familiaity that give you a fond memory of 'back in the day' feeling is the precise reason why people would go back to this hotel for meals to keep them going. I would be curious to know what this place would be like in many years later ....

Well, the food was definitely old school but I enjoyed it. My mother-in-law enjoyed it so that's what matters the most. I thought the service was very attentive, the interval between each course was appropriate, not too rushed and not too being kept waiting too long but just right. Overall it took us about 2 hours to have our lunch, which is not something we would do in this modern busy daily life nowadays so I felt like we had a nice relaxing Sunday lunch with family.

Powfoulis Manor Hotel awaits you to join for dinner....
That's all forks ....

No comments: