Saturday, December 12, 2015

Fudges at Fudge House, Royal Mile in Edinburgh, Scotland

Emily and Craig have recently been to Edinburgh for the weekend and kindly brought us back some delectable fudges from Fudge Kitchen on the Royal Mile. So, as I am writing this, I am eating the fudges.  Mmmmmm, yummy. It's bad, you know. 100gram serving of fudge may contains over 450 calories! It's just sugar, milk and butter..... but it's approaching Christmas, no point of worry about your waistline, so I might as well eat and enjoy it.

Well, fudge from Fudge Kitchen is not the only fudge I have eaten recently. Back in October, my husband and I were in Edinburgh too for his sister Mary's birthday dinner. Whilst we were there, we went to Fudge House (http://fudgehouse.co.uk) on the Royal Mile toward the Holyrood Palace end and near The Peoples' Story.



The shop started selling their hand made fudge in 1949. There are 27 flavours, from classic creamy Vanilla and sophisticated Dark Chocolate to fruity Strawberry and authentic Italian Nougat - [just borrowed texts from their website, hahaha!].

On their show windows, they display wonderful ranges of their products, which are very enticing ....



We stepped inside and were welcomed by choices of delectable looking fudges. You can buy a box of 5 or box of 10 selections of fudge bars. Each bar weighs about 50 to 70gram. My husband said I could have a box of 10 and I took ages and ages trying to decide which bars we should buy.




Before everyone's patience barely ran out, I managed to select 10 which were boxed in nicely.  I could not wait to go home and open the box....


When I opened the box, I got a thrill as if I was opening up a box of jewels.


I laid them all out on a plate so that we can cut small bit off each bar to taste and critique. Maria called this as Fudge Tasting, like wine tasting.


So it goes .... we admire each piece for colour, shine and smell ..... but I won't bore you with details. Besides, it was almost 2 months ago, to be honest, I could not remember what each taste was all like, other than they were all deliciously sweet and enjoyable.



The first one we tried was chocolate fudge with sea salt. This one is our favourite.


Next one was lemon meringue pie with real meringue bits in it.


Next one was Italian Nougat, made with Torrone, an Italian nougat candy.


We then moved on to Chocolate Orange....zesty orange fudge with Belgian chocolate on top.


Next one was Chocolate Peanut Butter, cooked with 100% peanut butter, topped with layer of chocolate budge and chopped roasted peanuts mixed in!


We also tried Pistachio & White Chocolate. I like pistachio so I would like to have a bit stronger pistachio flavour from this bar though ....


Next one was Maple Walnut, infused with roasted almond and crunched up toffee pieces....


We also had Scottish Butter Tablet, made to the shop's founder's grandmother's recipe to this day....


And finally, their classic Vanilla Fudge.


So we tried them all. No, we didn't finish all in one go, that would be impossible as it would be pure sugar overload. It was fun though, trying different flavours.


You can also buy their fudges on-line so you don't need to go all the way to Edinburgh, although it is much nicer to go into the shop and see all the selections. You can also sample before you buy.


After the Fudge House of Edinburgh, we walked down the Royal Mile and found a Christmas Shop.


Of course I went in and bought myself some decorations for Christmas. My husband was laughing (or despairing) at my ability to find places to shop without having to walk much far.


The Royal Mile ... such a great place for eat and shopping, not to mentioning sight seeing.

That's all forks and a Happy Holiday!

No comments: