Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy New Year with Happy Stomach!

A Happy New Year to you.  The year 2013 is the Year of the Snake according to the Chinese Zodiac which is represented by 12 animals rotating 12-year circle. So for those who are 0, 12, 24, 36, 48, 60 or 72 years old this year are all born in the year of the snake and are said to be meticulous with planning, seductive, charming, good with money, analytical, smart and hard-working.

12 animals are Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon (last year), Snake (this year), Horse, Goat, Monkey, Rooster, Dog and Pig (Boar in Japan).

Big zodiac signs placed on the ceiling of the main gate at Sumiyoshi Shrine in Osaka. 
Every new year's eve before the bells, my husband and I eat soba noodle in accordance with Japanese tradition. This is called Toshikoshi Soba, meaning 'ending one year and entering into another year' and the soba represents longevity with the belief that one will have a long [and prosperous] life by eating the soba as they are very long and slender. My husband is not that keen on soba noodles but I say to him, 'Live long and prosper' with the Vulcan salute. Being a sort of Trekkie, he finds me funny saying this. We then eat small portion of the soba noodle for living long [but not convinced about 'slenderly' as I think we got long way to go for that, I am afraid...] to welcome the new year.

Soba noodle, with Japanese zodiac ornaments for lucky charms
- a pair of dragon from last year (right) and a snake (left) for year 2013.

On New Year's Day, we had eclectic new year celebration dinner at home. For appetisers, we had Inarizushi and Makizushi, Tuna & Potato cakes and mackerel pate and melba toasts and selection of Spanish salami.  Inarizushi is a pouch of fried tofu filled with sushi rice (see brown balls in the photo) while Makizushi is sushi rice with variety of ingredients wrapped in seaweed called Nori. It was a last minute decision to make Makizushi so I had to do with what I had in my fridge and made two flavours, one is tuna mayonaise and the other with fried egg, seafood crab sticks, carrots and spring onions. It would have been better if I had cucumbers to add some colours....  These are Emily and Maria's favourite. They also love Tuna & Potato cakes - I mix tuna, potato, spring onion, red chilli, coriander, flat parsley, lemon juice, making the mix into flat balls and coating them with first flour, then egg and finally panko (bread crumbs) and shallow fry them.  Mackerel pate was made by my husband using creme fraiche and lemon - they are healthier and tastier and we know what's inside it and I made melba toast to go with the paten, using up slightly old bread. I also got selection of Spanish salami for Emily's boyfriend Craig as he likes meat. 

For starter, we all had home made vegetable soup. I put carrots (lots of them), leeks, potatoes, lentils, turnips and some onions... good for five-a-day! Craig is a meat lover but he said he liked my soup very much.
Inarizushi and Makizushi
Freshly fried Tuna & Potato cakes
Very eclectic combination - Japanese, Spanish, fish, meat and lots of vegetables....
For main course Emily, Craig and Maria had traditional steak pie whilst my husband and I, who do not eat meat, had mushroom ragout with red wine sauce with pastry. I have never made the mushroom ragout before but I think this dish turned out very well for the first time attempt. I think next time I may use wild mushroom and may also use hint of soy sauce for little bit more densines in taste. 

Traditional steak pie with mushed potato and turnip, carrots and brussel sprouts. 
Mushroom ragout with red wine sauce with pastry.

Having had all these, we were so full, we did not have desserts in the end to complete the dinner, however a few hours later some of us had strawberry cheesecake, others had chocolate cupcakes Emily made and one person had both.... well, actually that was me (but they were small portions, honest!). I must say the sponge for the cupcake was nice and moist, chocolate topping was not too sweet and the size was perfect. It was a very nicely done cupcake, Emily!!!

We had a lot of food left over, which will do for our lunches and dinners for the next few days, saving me doing much cooking too! I have also given Emily and Craig some Sushi and Tuna & Potato cakes to take home with while Maria is heating up another round of stake pie dinner for her as I write this. Our fridge is still full and so as our stomach. 

Our 2012 ended with lots of lovely and happy food experience, and the year 2013 has definitely began for all of us as happy family with lots of food, with happy stomach and with happy thoughts. 
Wish you everyone also a Happy New Year and hope you too will have wonderful food experience this year AND live long and prosper!  That's all forks!

Cupcakes which Emily and her friend Jennifer made to celebrate year 2013!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

That looked like a lovely New Years Dinner! I love that you still enjoy traditional Japanese foods - they looked amazing! I could almost taste it! I think you should post some photos of all you enjoying such a wonderful meal. And your mushroom pie whatever it was called looked to die for!
Also - Please send me your recipe for Tuna and Potato cakes! Yummy!

Michelle