Saturday, July 25, 2015

Thai Cafe, Kirkintilloch

A new Thai restaurant has come to Kirkintilloch recently and we have already been there 3 times! Twice for dinner and once for lunch. It's called Thai Cafe.

The decor is simple (but in a nice way), bright and comfortable and welcoming.  I think the premises might have been a real estate agency before but I am not sure....


I like their menu. There are lots of dishes I want to try....  You also get tasty hot prawn crackers whilst waiting for your starters to arrive.


For starters, we have tried their Thai fish cakes and Hot and Sour Soup (Tom Yum) with seafood.

I am quite particular about Thai fish cakes but I do love Thai Cafe's fish cakes.


Thai Hot and Sour Soup with seafood has lots of seafood and vegetables in it, including crab claws! I like the taste. There is some home cooking feel to it. I envy Thai families who can get to have this soup at home.


For dinner, we have tried stir-fried tofu with vegetables and stir-fried king prawns (but sorry, I can't remember which type of sauce) and stir-fried egg noodles and beansprouts.


I enjoyed my tofu-stir fried vegetables.  As I love tofu, I would like to have more tofu, cut in bigger chunks rather than sliced, however vegetables were stir fried lovely with tasty sauce. 

When we went back second time, my husband had spicy seafood stir fry. There were lots of seafood as you can see including crab claws!


I had steamed Thai style seabass in lime (or was it lemon...?), coriander, chilli and celery sauce. I love this dish. The fish was prepared beautifully but the sauce was really lovely and refreshing. Slices of small celery were sharp, fragrant and flavoursome. I have never tried such lovely celery.  I would definitely order this again.


We enjoyed our meals so much we then went back the following week but for lunch to try their lunch menu.  It is 6.95 for two courses.

You get some hot prawn crackers whilst waiting for your dish to arrive.


As we don't eat meat, we paid £1.50 extra for king prawns as mains in lunch menus are mainly chicken dishes but we don't mind. I wanted to try their Thai red curry anyway.

Here, starter and main come together in the same dish.

My husband had hot and sour soup with king prawns for starter and Thai green curry with king prawns for main.  I think the soup had some coconut milk in it and it was quite flavoursome.  I also tried his Thai green curry. The sauce was very delicious, flavoursome and spicy.


I had Thai fish cake for starter and Thai red curry with king prawns for main. I enjoyed this too.


Next time I would like to try their Chilli Squid for starter, oh but I do love their fish cakes too - this is a dilemma! For main course I would like to try Thai green curry but I also love their steamed seabass.... another dilemma!

We have enjoyed our meals at Thai Cafe and we would definitely go back.

When we were in the restaurant there were lots of take-aways orders going on. We must try their take-away too, so we picked up their take-away menu.

It's great to have Thai restaurant in Kirkintilloch. There are already very good Chinese take aways near-by, and also two lovely Italian restaurants. I have also heard Persian restaurant has opened up too.  Lots of choices! Kirkie is happening!  Now, I hope someone will open up a nice Spanish tapas place please....

That's all forks!

No comments: