Monday, August 5, 2013

Unforgettable Focaccia in Lucca, Tuscany

Focaccia is popular bread in Italy, usually seasoned with olive oil and salt, but can also be with herbs, cheese or onions.  According to Wikipedia, "the word is derived from the Latin focus meaning 'hearth, place for baking' as in ancient Rome, panis focacius was a flat bread baked on the hearth. Yes, sometimes, reading my blog can be an educational or a place for useless learning, ha ha ha.

Anyway, we were in Lucca, Northern Tuscany in late May this year, and we went to this restaurant, L'Antico Sigillo on Via degli Angeli for lunch. The place is a bit away from the main touristy area of walled city of Lucca. When you are seated, they bring you a basket of freshly baked foccacia whilst perusing the menu. The focaccia was just nice and fluffy with crunchy tops drizzled with olive oil to prevent it from over-drying/baked but yet still retain moisture, and it is sprinkled with good amount of rock salt. This is really yummy.  You could just keep having this wonderful bread with a glass of wine, nothing else as it's that gooood. And you would wish you could just do that but you do actually need to order something.

Mmmmm, focaccia  .....
Could she be the one who made that Focaccia!!!
Mushroom pizza - I think she made this.... 


Their focaccia is really 'unforgettable' and you got to try this.  To tell you the truth, this was our 2nd time going to this restaurant. My husband found this place few years ago. As we don't eat meat, the menu choices seem a bit limited to me at this restaurant. I remember that I had a tomato spaghetti then and this time I had this again, and my husband had mushroom pizza then and this time again too. I think my husband enjoyed the pizza both times. Unfortunately forcccia is the only thing that was really unforgettable. Other dishes were fine, nothing special if I can remember, however despite that, I wanted to come back to this restaurant again because of their focaccia and so we did. It is still worth going there, just to try their wonderful bread. 

Besides, Lucca is a lovely place. You can easily get there by train from Pisa or Montecatini Term where we stayed or even from Florence. There is a lovely cake shop I must tell you ... well, I shall keep this for another day.

Locals cycle around the town. You can also rent a bicycle too.

Well, that's all forks!

No comments: