Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Glazert Country House Hotel in Lennoxtown, Scotland

We have recently had a lovely meal at Glazert Country House Hotel (http://www.glazert.co.uk) in Lennoxtown, outskirts of Glasgow.  There were four of us - my husband, my daughter Maria, my mother-in-law Mary and myself. It was Saturday lunch time and we did not book so we were not sure if we could get it but we tried it any way.



When we arrived, we were told that they were not serving foods in the restaurant as a wedding would be starting shortly however were happy to serve if we did not mind sitting in the bar, which was totally fine with us. We sat in the quiet corner of the lounge bar. There was a fire place and, instead of a deer's mounted head on the wall above it, there was a deer's mounted rear end on the wall, which was very strange. Every time I look up, I could not avoid looking at the deer's end. It is human nature to stir at a fire place if there is one in a room, naturally you look up and there it is, the deer's mounted rear end.


The staff was very friendly and efficient. They quickly brought the menu, took our drinks order but gave us sufficient time to allow us to consult with the menu.  I quite liked what they have on the menu.

Anyway, my mother-in-law Mary ordered York Ham, Brie and Cranberry Sandwich from their Lounge Bar Lunch Menu and added chips.  The sandwich came with salad, homemade coleslaw and Kettle chips. Mary really enjoyed this sandwich - bread was really fresh and soft, tasty ham with brie and cranberry. It's almost sounding celebratory. As I don't eat meat, I did not taste it but you can see from the look of it , it was really tasty.


I had Grilled Fillet of Highland Smoked Salmon with Dauphinoise potatoes, vegetables and beetroot dressing. I really enjoyed the smoked salmon. It was neither too smoky nor too salty but just right. I don't think the beetroot dressing is needed. The only comment I wish to add was that I wish there were more vegetables on the plate, but this is because I like my veggies and not a criticism.


My husband had Beer Battered Fillet of Haddock with thick cut chips. It would have come with mushy peas as well but he does not like it so asked them to serve without. Chips were huge and fish was also a good size. He enjoyed this too.


Maria had Glazert Steak Pie with vegetables and chips. She really enjoyed this dish too. She said that the meat was really lovely and tender and very delicious. It looked really tasty and smelled delicious.


Well, we really enjoyed our meal. Everyone was full by this time but me being me, I had to order a dessert to try as what's on dessert menu sounded nice.

We ordered some teas and coffees that came with mint chocolate and ordered Butterscotch Belgian Waffles with vanilla ice cream to share.  Mary was eating some sugar cubes like candies whilst waiting for the waffles.



I looked up, saw the deer, quickly averting my eyes to the wedding parties that were arriving, wondering why the deer's mounted rear end. And our Belgian Waffles arrived - and it looked really delicious and was delicious. You eat with mouth as well as with eyes!


Meanwhile, more guests for the wedding party arrived. We were admiring beautiful dresses that ladies in the wedding party were wearing. I wonder what they would be eating for the wedding dinner.... I bet it would be wonderful.

We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch and the dessert was delightful. We would definitely go back for meal again. Next time I may try their Glazert Mac'n'Cheese topped with sun blush tomatoes or have another plate of Grilled Smoked Salmon again.

All waiting staff were very friendly and welcoming, serving us with smile. Despite having a wedding party to cater for, service was quick, meals were delicious. By the quality of sandwich from the lounge bar menu or the presentation of the Belgian Waffles, I can get the sense that the chef and the kitchen team really care about the food they prepare and serve.

Glazert Country House Hotel is a lovely surprise. I have also discovered, when I checked their website this evening to write this blog, that behind the wall of the fireplace with the deer's mounted rear end, there is another fireplace with the deer's mounted head - so the lounge is separate by the wall sandwiched between two fire places and presumably a whole deer in the middle!  Here is another surprise, hahaha.


We shall return to this hidden gem in Lennoxtown, north of Glasgow in not too distant future.

That's all forks.

No comments: