Monday, July 21, 2014

Sarti for Birthday

It was my birthday last month and my family took me to Sarti (http://fratelli-sarti.co.uk/index), my favourite Italian restaurant in Glasgow, for my birthday dinner. 

The highlight of the evening was the main course asparagus ravioli in tomato sauce. Chef Lydia knows that I love asparagus and when we were seated, she told me I could have asparagus ravioli. No need for checking the menu, I have that one!

I always love Sarti's ravioli. I really enjoyed this one too. Each ravioli was quite a good size, perfectly cooked - not too soft and not too hard with lots of tasty asparagus and ricotta cheese fillings, covered with tasty tomato sauce.  I also love Sarti's tomato sauce in general, whether it's pasta sauce or pizza sauce, I think their tomato sauce is just gorgeous.  Anyway, back to the ravioli, it was soooo delicious, I actually ate all, considering the generous portion size (and also that I usually never manage to finish whole plate and end up eating half and getting the other half to take away...). 


Just looking at the picture of my ravioli, I could still remember the taste of it, mmmm, yummy. 


For starter, my husband and I shared Antipasto di Mare Tiepido (prawns, octopus, cuttlefish, mussels and clams sautéed in white wine and garlic) between us from the menu. This was also really delicious. 




While my husband and I were enjoying our asparagus raviolis, Maria was enjoying her Penne al Mascarpone (soft mascarpone cheese melted through tomato sauce with a hint of chilli) with lots of grated parmisiano. She loves cheese so this was an inresistable dish for her (and let's not talk about calories here...).  

Penne al Mascarpone

Emily in the meantime enjoyed Pizza Ortolana (zucchini, peppers and red onions) with extra topping of an egg in the middle.  For some reason she fancied an egg on pizza that night.  It looks really yummy and I think she really enjoyed it. Again, pizza is another dish we love about Sarti. We think their pizza base is just perfect - lovely, fluffy and light at the same time.  When we first went to Florence, we went into this pizzeria and ordered a pizza. It was really good, of course. We said to each other, "Just like the one in Sarti's!"  Ha ha ha...


Yummy pizza!
We enjoyed our main course with one of our favourite wine - Bardolino Chiaretto, lovely light rose.



No matter how much you are full, it's funny you always manage to find a space in your stomach for desserts.  My husband had tiramisu.  I always wanted to try Torta della Nonna (Grandmother's Torte) so I ordered this. This is a traditional Tuscan dessert of double custard tart filled with pasty cream. It was really delicious, it tasted how I had imagined. I read it somewhere on internet afterwards that it would go with a glass of dessert wine. That sounds really nice ... I must try that way one day....

Torta della Nonna

Tiramisu

To finish off the meal, we all had wee limoncello. Salute!


Another lovely meal at Sarti, and Happy Birthday to me.....

That's all forks!

No comments: