Sunday, July 6, 2014

Greengrocer cafe in Stirling

As I am writing this, my friend Wendy and her family are enjoying sunshine and great food in Sicily! That has reminded me of the wonderful roasted pepper open sandwich I had when I met her a few months ago for lunch in Stirling. 

It was a lovely gorgeous sunny day and we met at The Greengrocer Cafe at 81 Port Street, Stirling, FK8 2ER.  The cafe is tuck down a lane close to Stirling town centre, part deli and part cafe with different products on the shelves that surround customers having lunches.

I love roasted or grilled vegetables so without any hesitation I ordered their open sandwich with roasted peppers.  I did debate myself if I could manage eating this without any of the roasted black bits of vegetables getting lodged between my teeth. Well, who cares, I got to try this. 

And so I did. This was really delicious, lots of vegetables - underneath warm roasted peppers hid slices of equally perfectly roasted courgettes, aubergines and sweet potatoes! This came with side salads with lots of sun dried tomatoes. It was really yummy.  I can't remember how much it was but I think it was less than £6 (if not, it was definitely less than £7!). 

Outside the sun was shining, unusually warm yet pleasant for April in Scotland and the dish also brought me with sunshine to my stomach and soul. We did not have time for coffee nor any room for anything else as we both had to head back to our offices after this.



As we were leaving I quickly took some photos of this cafe. I noticed there were some people sitting outside having lunch too. As it is off the busy street, the location provides a lovely sanctuary with relaxing atomoshere being away from bustling and hustling of many day time shoppers and traffic.  


Outside of Greengrocer Cafe

Inside - selling fresh vegetables too - toward the back there is a counter with glass case
with lots of delectable home made cakes. 

Having had a lovely lunch in the lovely sun-shined afternoon, I went back to my office. I took out my compact to check my teeth in the mirror whilst applying a lipstick and found a black chargrilled bit stuck in my bottom tooth.  Poor Wendy, being ever so polite,  must have had a difficult time to refrain from bursting into laughter and managed so well to keep straight face whilst talking to me.  You know what, I don't care as the open sandwich was so good it was worth sacrificing my vanity here.

I am looking outside, it is grey and dull, probably it would rain soon.  Typical Scottish summer.  So I think of Wendy, imagining her having Sicilian food under the Sicilian sun, which brings me back to the Greengrocer's roasted red pepper open sandwich to give me sunshine to my soul, even if it's dull and grey outside and is about to rain.

That's all forks!



No comments: