Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Perfect Risotto at Hotel Torretta

Weather in Northern Tuscany has not been great as we had anticipated - it is overcast most of the time with occasional sunshine but not hot enough for sun-bathing, with occasional rain here and there with wind. As I only brought summer clothes with me and a black cardigan to shield myself from cold wind, I could not venture out too far other than going for a short walk through the park.

On our first day in Montecatini Term and being on Sunday with cold wind, we thought there may not be much restaurants opened in the town and that we decided to have lunch at our hotel.

The lunch was a set menu that began with assorted salad in buffet style so you just pile up whatever you fancy - I tried olive marinated onions and fennel which were really wonderful, especially I really liked the onions.

The primo was risotto with prawns, asparagus and cherry tomatoes.  I have never had such a delightful and perfect risotto - rice was soooo creamy yet with bites and never stodgy or too thick. You can also taste every key ingredients - asparagus, prawns and cheery tomatoes. And it looks so lovely to look at. The weather may not be that great outside but it sure lifted up our sprits!


The Secondi was sole with cheese & vegetable flan and boiled potatoes.  It was simple and light.


The dessert was panna cotta with strawberry sauce. I am used to eating supermarket panna cotta with more genetin-like texture, I have forgotten how creamy, silky-smooth the real home-made one is! This was really delicious, with pretty colour.


We then decided to have coffees - I know Italians don't have cappuccino for mid-day but we don't care, we asked for it to finish our meals. Cappuccino came with extra layers (?) of frothy creams to make us smile.


That's all forks for the lunch we had the other day.

P.S - The next day, my husband had to buy me Benetton's rain jacket as I was feeling so cold and pathetic. Luckily, for any consolation, it was 30% off due to end of season sale and now I can go out in the rain or wind!  I do like the style and functionality of it so I can definitely wear it back home.
I had never imagined we ended up having to buy a jacket in early summer in Italy!!!




No comments: