Thursday, August 9, 2012

Where to eat in Sorrento, Italy

First of all, my sincere apology if you are reading this.  I have been so engrossed watching Olympics and I have not got around to update my blog.  I especially liked watching swimming - how wonderful Missy Franklyn and Michael Phelps were and there were so many good Japanese swimmers but unfortunately just could not get gold!!!
Now it's over (I mean swimming), I am having withdraw symptoms ....

Anyhow, the day my younger daughter and her boyfriend are going to Sorrento, Italy is now tomorrow!  Even it it's not me going, I feel really excited!  The company director of the Italian restaurant we often go has given them advice where to eat in Sorrento. He is Italian and from Sorrento, and he has always in catering business so he knows so many people. He has sent us email to advise where they should go while in Sorrento and 'just mention my name', he says....

Here are his recommendations:


  • The Fauno Bar in the main square Piazza Tasso for aperitif
  • La Favorita for a nice and fancy atmosphere (and his father works there too!)
  • Lanterna in the historic centre (one of his favourite)
  • Leone Rosso Pizzaria, near the train station - not fancy but the best pizza in the town and not too expensive.
  • The Delfino, seafood restaurant in the Marina (We went there, yeah, see my earlier blog!)
  • Praiano for nice and unique evening and eat at the pirata (....? don't know what this means but perhaps he means 'on the shore'...?) - it's somewhere on Amalfi coast so you need a taxi to get there...
  • Caruso (his favourite, and yeah we went there too, please also see my earlier blog!)
  • Have fun at the Chaplin pub on Corso Italia
  • Il Verginiello in Capri Island
Wow, I wish I could go all these places, eat lovely food and take lots of photos.......
I can only hope that my daughter and her boyfriend will manage to get to some of these places  whilst they are there, and I definitely want to see photos of food they eat.  I am sure my daughter would take photos - I have well trained my daughters to do that, ha ha ha. 

Well, whilst they are going to Sorrento, my husband and I are going back to Sicily next month.  I have already bought some books of Sicilian dishes and have marked all the food I definitely wish to try with bright yellow marker like a school kid. You can tell how much I am really looking forward to this trip.

One of my favourite Sicilian dishes which I just can't get it right (and many other dishes...) is Caponata.


So I have made an attempt to create my version of Caponata - well it ended up more like cross between Peperonata and Caponata, and did not taste like the ones I had in Taormina or at our favourite Italian restaurant here.  Perhaps, I might have put a bit too much vinegar in it and I should have put more aubergenes however it still tasted nice and even better the next day!  I added slices of mozzarella, basil and drizzle of 'Sicilian' olive oil!!!  Can't wait to go back to Sicily and eat the real stuff.


No comments: