Sunday, March 8, 2015

The Tickled Trout in Milngavie, near Glasgow

Weekends have been really busy lately as it's now only about 8 weeks to Emily and Craig's wedding so we are trying to do all little things you got to do before the Big Day, including getting a hat, bag and a pair of shoes to go with my MOB (mother-of-bride) dress.

I think I mentioned before that we had found a fabulous hat shop the other day for the wedding.  So we went back there last weekend, but this time with my MOB dress to wear with a hat to try on properly to co-ordinate. I was worried if I could still fit myself into the dress as it was one and half month ago when I bought the dress and I had not made any efforts, never mind any attempts to loose weight.  Fitting myself into it is just a beginning, having an extra tummy room between the dress and my body is a challenge, especially I need to ensure that I will be able to enjoy 3 course dinner served at their wedding and write about it on my blog, of course!

Emily and Craig were also going to see someone that day who is making them a wedding cake and I was tagging along with them, hoping that I could have some sample to taste!

Anyway, the cake maker did prepare some sample sponges to take away for us to try. Emily and Craig trusted me to hold the box of sample cakes in the back of their car whilst they were driving in the front but we could not wait to try these.

With so much temptation to eat them all right away in the car, we managed to get to Milngavie where the hat shop is. I tried my MOB hat, got it sorted.  We then anxiously went straight back to the car and tried the sponges.

Despite the surrounding (we were sitting in Craig's car, in a supermarket car park!) those sample sponges were amazing!  These were absolutely delectable sponges of lemon, velvet, chocolate and carrots cakes.  My favourite was lemon one but velvet was delicious too.  Chocolate one was not overly sweet but still tasty. I am not that fan of carrot cakes but her sponge was really delicious too.

Sample sponges to go!!!

Later on Emily and Craig discussed and decided on what sponge they want for their cake and contacted the cake maker - I am not telling what sponge hey have decided on or what the cake will look like for their wedding. You just need to wait for my blog for that, ha ha ha.

By this time we were hungry and decided to go somewhere for late lunch, so we went to The Tickled Trout (http://www.vintageinn.co.uk/thetickledtroutbearsden/restaurantsfood/) in Milngavie which is on its way home. For a long time I could not remember their name so I kept calling them Tick or Treat and my family understood what I meant. So now I still keep calling them Tick or Treat.


I was not driving so I could have some wine but decided to stick to sparkling water with a wedge of lime.

Craig ordered Wild Boar and Chorizo Burger, which is chargrilled and served in a crusty cob with lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise with smoky tomato salsa and seasoned chips but I think he asked for it without mayonnaise.

Craig's wild boar burger.

Emily had Bacon and Brie Melt, which is melted Cornish Brie, bacon and confit tomato in a crusty brown cob, served with seasoned chips. She then added lots of chill jam. There were lots of brie...


I had Seasonal Salads with seared fillet of salmon with pineapple and lime salsa. Salad was consisted of mixed leaves, soya beans, red pepper, baby corn, tomato, cucumber and fat-free dressing.  I don't remember it came with pineapple and lime salsa, now I am writing this.  Never mind, I still enjoyed it though. Salmon was cooked well and seasoned nicely anyway. I may get this again.

Well with mineral water with lime and grilled salmon with salad, I felt really healthy. If I kept this up, I could really loose some weight and would fit myself into the MOB dress without any bother, ha ha ha.


So much for healthy diet, we decided not to order desserts but to go home and have the rest of sponges with a cup of tea. My husband also got apple turnover with lots of cream and eclairs!!!


I could never go on a diet. The following weekend, Emily, Maria and I decided to go to Glasgow to look for a pair of shoes for MOB and bridesmaids, and try a new restaurant for lunch. I think I should also buy myself a spanx, I would definitely need it.....

That's all forks!

No comments: