Sunday, March 1, 2015

Afternoon Tea at Thistle Hotel in Glasgow

We've recently gone to Thistle Hotel in Glasgow for an afternoon tea and we thoroughly enjoyed  it.

It was an on-line voucher deal that came with a glass of prosecco each. There were four of us, my mother-in-law Mary, my husband, my younger daughter Maria and me and Emily joined in just for a cup of coffee as she had already eaten lunch with her friends from university.  The plan was that my husband would drive for everyone (as he would be driving to pick up Mary from her house and take her home later anyway) and Maria and myself would have privilege to enjoy two glasses of prosecco each, ha ha ha!  Unfortunately Maria decided to go to Glasgow early by herself for shopping - she was hunting for a jacket to go with her dress to wear for her boyfriend's brother's forthcoming wedding (which was actually now yesterday!). So she was driving, my husband was driving, Emily was also driving - they all got their cars, Mary does not drink prosecco.  This meant I was the only one who could drink that day but there is no way I could manage 4 glasses of prosecco all by myself without falling into sleep!  In the end we gave 2 glasses to ladies at the table next to us for them to enjoy. Next time we would need to plan better about prosecco arrangement!


My husband said later on that we could have asked for soft drinks instead of prosecco. I never thought of that so I will remember that for future.

Thistle's afternoon tea was quite a delightful. First of all they all looked colourful and pretty, and they were delicious as they looked. In fact the picture does not do justice. Each one of us also had our own good sized tea pot so that we could enjoy our afternoon tea.


Scones had nice firmness yet soft and never dry.  Little sponge cakes with cherries on top - cherries were 'real' cherries, deep pink in colour instead of illuminating red ones from a tin that you may get at other places, and the sponge was soaked in tasty syrup. We could not figure out what flavour it was - apple or cherry? - but they were delicious too.


Little strawberry cream tarts were also delicious - creams were strawberry mouse instead of pink strawberry flavoured cream, it was yummy.


As I am writing this, my husband has just brought me a lovely mug of coffee with perfectly frothy milk and a chocolate eclair. Wow, what a great timing, you can't get any more apt than now to have this and write about afternoon tea experience at the same time!


Anyway, back to the afternoon tea. The delicious delights also included small cornettos filled with delightful chocolate cream decorated with chocolate mini stars!  Chocolate cream was not too sweet and each cornetto itself was just perfect size to enjoy.


I could picture a pastry chef making all these delightful delicious cakes from scratch and decorating them one by one with their hands (or fingers?), having fun with sprinkling little chocolate stars to delightful chocolate cornetto in the kitchen of Thistle Hotel, bringing a little magic to their afternoon tea.  I wonder if the same chef pictures the delight he or she brings to their afternoon tea guests with their creations when they make and decorate these lovely cakes and scones.  Well, that's how I would like to imagine as their cakes and scones were really delicious and hope other guests would appreciate their little magic with their afternoon tea.


Oh, I have almost forgotten to talk about sandwiches. As my husband and I don't eat meat, we asked for sandwiches without meat when we arrived. They asked if we could eat cheese so I was expecting we just get cheddar cheese and mayo and perhaps cucumber sandwiches. 

Well, we did get some cheese sandwich with onion jam but also got mozzarella with pesto as well as tasty egg sandwich.


However, the delightful surprise was the sandwich with marinated artichoke and roasted (?) red peppers with hummus (or I think that's what they were...).  I must say this was really delicious vegetarian sandwich; why have I never thought about putting these into sandwich, what an excellent and tasty sandwich idea!!!  And it did not end just there; when I opened the sandwich I found one side of bread was generously covered with these beautiful vegetables.  I wonder if they serve this sandwich normally at the hotel, if so I would not mind coming back here and eat this for lunch!

Lots of artichokes for filling - what a yummy surprise!

Well, I did not expect to have such a delightful afternoon tea at Thistle Hotel in Glasgow; sandwiches and cakes were really delicious.  It's a pity that the restaurant where they served the afternoon tea lacked a bit of an atmosphere however service was good, staff were very friendly and accommodating and everything they served was really delicious ... after all that's what matters the most.  

Ground floor of the hotel
The foyer of the hotel

We enjoyed everything and ate all. I hope they do this on-line deal again and we would definitely come back, but next time we would need to make sure we don't drive and get to enjoy our glasses of prosecco. 

That's all forks.

No comments: