Sunday, January 19, 2014

Slimming World inspired Minestrone

Well, I have been keeping up with cooking healthy for the family since I am inspired by Slimming World which my daughters are doing for diet! In fact in the matter of one week my husband already lost almost 1.5kg (apps. 3 pounds) and since we are not eating ready meals, our weekly food shopping bill has gone down too! What a bonus.

Anyway, I have just made minestrone soup for the first time in my life and I think I have done a very good job of it - it's really tasty and I did not realise how easy it is to make this.  So, I got to share this recipe with you.

Slimming World inspired home made Minestrone Soup

I have used:
2 x small onions, finely chopped
2 x cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
1.2 x carrots, diced
3 x celery sticks, diced
1 x 400g can of chopped tomato
1 x Knorr vegetable stock pod (dissolved in 800 ml hot water)
1 x can of cannelloni beans, drained
50g x small pasta (any shape)
1 x bay leaf
1 tsp x dried oregano
Handful of flat parsley, chopped
4 - 5 basil leaves
salt and pepper
low calorie cooking spray

1. Spray the bottom of a large saucepan with low calorie cooking spray and put the pan on a hob with a medium heat.
2. Once the spray oil turns translucent, fry garlic and onions for a few minutes but be careful not to burn them.
3. Add chopped carrots and celery into the pan to fry further few minutes.
4. Add tomato, vegetable stock, bay leaf and dried oregano, bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Check and skim the surface of the soup every now and again with ladle during simmering.
5. Add cannelloni beans and pasta and cook further 10 minutes.
6. Chop flat parsley and basil leaves and add to the soup with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.

Up to this process it is Syn-free.  (Syn is, according to Slimming World, food that would jeopardise weight loss if not controlled.).

I then had the soup with a wholemeal bread and little bit of grated parmesan cheese. It was really yummy!  I am going to take some to work for lunch tomorrow too!

Happy dieting and that's all forks!





No comments: