Sunday, September 15, 2013

Emily's Kitchen

My husband and I were invited to daughter Emily and her fiancé, Craig's new house for dinner last Friday. Actually I invited ourselves, hahaha. They were off work whole week past week decorating their house and I just said half-jokingly to Emily, "Oh, you could invite us for dinner." Emily had no choice but say no....

Emily had a challenge as she needed to think what she could make to cater everyone as Craig does not eat fish or seafood while my husband and I don't eat meat. Anyway, Emily did a great job, prepared and served us wonderful dinner and both my husband and I came home with happy stomach.

For starter, she made butternut squash and potato soup with hint of chilli, with sour cream and drizzle of olive oil. It was really delicious.

Emily's home made butternut squash and potato soup

For main course, Emily made home-made beef burger for Craig and herself whilst home made tuna burger for my husband and myself. She put tuna steaks in the blender to mince, added soy sauce, chopped spring onion, onions, minced garlic, ginger, chilli, salt and pepper. The burger came with either smoky tomato and paprika sauce or mayonnaise with garlic and spring onions.

Emily's tuna burger with chips and salad.

For dessert, Emily did some experiments in making chocolate casings, having seen some recipe on Pinterest.  Basically she melt chocolate to coat the bottom of balloons and once chocolates were cooled and hardened, carefully deflate the balloons so that she could then remove the balloons off the chocolate casings.  If the temperature of chocolate is too hot, it would burst the balloons so she had to be careful with this operations, albeit looking easy and fun ....

Another use for balloons..... 

She then put vanilla ice-cream, decorated with strawberries. Knowing how she made the chocolate casing, it was even more tastier, not to mention 'interesting'!


During the dinner, we talked about our recent trip to Lisbon. Poor Emily and Craig as they had to endure having to look at more than 1,000 holiday photos we had taken.

We all really enjoyed the dinner. We even came home with take-away tuna burgers, that became our next day's dinner at our house!

I was about to blog about another food we had in Lisbon today but I had to blog about Emily's food as they were really delicious and she put so much thoughts and efforts to it, so well done to Emily.

That's all forks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love when my kids cook for me! She obviously has her mother's good taste in food!
Well done Emily!