Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Great Seafood Soup in Glasgow

I love seafood. At the moment what on my 'to eat' list is lobster roll in New England coast in the States. My husband and I have been talking about going back to Boston for a holiday and drive along the coast but if we are to do this, it got to be around the Autumn when leaves change colours beautifully. This would be almost a year away from now, if such trip really materialises.... so in the meantime, we need to find somewhere locally where we can eat great seafood.

My older daughter Emily found such place. It's Coila's Cafe (www.coiascafe.co.uk) in Glasgow. According to the website, the Coia family opened their first cafe in Dennistoun, Glasgow in 1928.


We went there on one Saturday afternoon for lunch. The place was fairly busy but we got a table without reservation. They had some American diner-like booths so next time we would like to book a booth.
There are quite a lot of good selections of dish on the menu but our mission that day was to eat this seafood soup or Zuppa Di Pesce. We saw a photo of this dish in somebody's Facebook page about a month ago and ever since we were salivating at the thought of trying this dish. So we ordered one to share between us and also ordered some extra bread to dip in and a portion of chips!

Zuppa Di Pesce - mixed seafood with garlic, chilli, onion
and celery cooked in a tomato sauce served with garlic bread.

Wow, it was really tasty, with abundance of seafood - langoustine, king prawns, squids, scallops and mussels....  For £18.95,  it surely worths it and with such volumes, so just as well we shared this between us.  Chips were also one of those typical chippy's chips, none of those frozen rubbish.
I had this soup with a glass of Pinot Grigio and Emily with a glass of diet coke as she was driving.  We then had coffee to finish off and left the restaurant with full and happy stomach.


Emily was driving to take us both back to her flat where I parked my car. I said to Emily, "Do you think I can legally drive now?"  Emily said, "Why, you only had one glass."  I paused and said, "Yeah, I feel a kind of ...... gooooood." We both burst into laughter, and Emily suggested that we should detour to Tesco for food shopping so that my feeling of 'goooooood' would wear off before she let me drive home.

We would definitely go back there again - next time we will book a booth and even order Zuppa Di Pesce one each!!!


1 comment:

Emily :) x said...

I can confirm that the seafood soup was AMAZINGGGGG! :) yum yum