Sunday, August 3, 2014

Fish & Chips in Falkirk

It was my mother-in-law Mary's birthday last Sunday. We were looking for place to go for dinner with her. Mary lives in Stirling. We live in Glasgow and Peter's sister family lives in Edinburgh. It has to be somewhere central for all.  Mary then suggested to go to benny t's (http://www.bennyts.net) in Falkirk.  It's a family-run fish and chips restaurant and takeaway place, not too far away from Falkirk Football Stadium.

I checked the reviews on Tripadvisor before we left home. Some said they do very good pizzas. That's tempting but we are in fish & chip restaurant so I decided to stick to their main products and ordered Classic Haddock Fish Supper (£9.95) that comes with 2 fillets (the menu says approx. 100g each) in crispy butter, served with benny t's tartare sauce, chips and was garnished with benny t's coleslaw.  Also ordered were two picked onions.




2 full fillets were a bit too much after all. My eyes always bigger than my stomach, however I managed to eat 1 1/2 fillets and the rest became a doggy bag for Robbie, Mary's beloved dog.
benny t's coleslaw lacked some sharpness and flavour, I thought, however overall I enjoyed the supper.

Mary's grand daughter Bekky is vegan at the moment so she ordered Vegetable pizza without cheese. It looked really good and was generous in size, smelling of proper stone baked oven pizza. Unfortunately I don't have photo of that. There were 9 of us at the table and Bekky was sitting the opposite end of the table from me. I did not have audacity to ask her not to start eating till I position her plate of pizza to be at the correct angle to take a photo for me.

There is extensive list of pizza on the menu (http://www.bennyts.net/uploads/files/bennyts.seesites.biz_--_590511914.pdf).  Pizza Amalfi sounds nice. If I ever go back there, I may try their pizza next time.




The restaurant decor is bright and colourful. Take away bit and restaurant stand side by side. It also has good size car parking facility.





We arrived at the restaurant at 4pm (it opens at 4pm on Sundays) so we did not have any problem to get a table for 9. By the time we were leaving, the restaurant was getting busier with people waiting for their seats. There are also people driving in to pick up takeaways from the chippies.

After this, Mary, my husband and I went back to Mary's house in Stirling.  I had earlier baked strawberry sponge cake with white chocolate and cream cheese icing for her birthday.  So we decided to eat some slices as dessert at her house. I think I did a fairly good job of this; the sponge was nice and moist, strawberries married well with white chocolate and cream cheese icing. I hope Mary enjoyed it too.  Well, I enjoyed it, blowing my trumpet here.... ha ha ha. 



Scotland has so many great fish and chips shops so to be honest benny t's is not a place we would go to drive all the way from where we live in Glasgow however, we could go back there for pizza next time as there are now The Kelpie near Falkirk,  300-tonne 30m high Kelpie horse's heads, Scotland's biggest art installation built by the artist Andy Scott's.  I fancy go and see them properly.

You can actually see the Kelpies from the motorway.  I am sure they look amazing from the Helix park where they are situated, however even from the motorway, they look awesome.  The stainless steel sculptures look so alive.....




Yes, we shall go and see the Kelpies and then go back to benny t's for pizza!


Anyway, hope Mary has enjoyed her birthday. Bekky and her boyfriend Don gave her a lovely card which they bought when they were travelling Vietnam.  I could not resist taking the photo of this. It's just so lovely and intricate.




Anyway, it was lovely for the family to get together. Happy Birthday, Mary.

That's all forks.

1 comment:

Dace said...

Yes, you must go and see the Kelpies - they are amazing. And buy tickets for the tour as the guys who do it give some interesting details about the history of the area, also you get to go inside one of the horses. I went on a rainy day - can't wait to go again in the sun!