Friday, February 8, 2013

Having lunch again ....

Went to Amber Regent (http://www.amberregent.com) last Saturday for lunch. My husband and I were debating whether we go for Italian or Thai as we walked on Hope Street, then turning onto West Regent Street, Glasgow. I said to him,"I wonder if Amber Regent does any lunch menu...?". To be honest it is not obvious from outside but we found that they do offer lunch special, £9.95 for 2 courses. It is quite a good menu (http://www.amberregent.com/menu/amber-regent-lunch-menu.htm), catering for both seafood lovers and vegetarians by offering variety of choices even for lunch menu.
Naturally, we got to try it and we were very glad we did.


We were the first customers to arrive so quickly took this photo before the place gets busier...

As far as I can remember this restaurant has been here for many many years. The last time we were there was when we took Emily and Maria for Emily's 18 year old birthday for dinner, but I bet they don't remember that much.

Anyway, for starters you have 10 different choices and we both chose Hot & Sour Soup without meat.
It came with a basket of crispy prawn crackers and the soup was really delicious.

Hot & Sour Soup without meat
For main course, you get so many choices despite being lunch menu. I am just looking at their lunch menu online - 11 chicken dishes, 8 beef dishes, 1-2 pork dishes, 10 seafood dishes and 5 vegetables.  My husband had Prawn Dam Po (Chilli Sauce) (... or was it Prawn Szechuen Style?)  and I had Grilled Sole Beijing Style. All comes with fried rice (or noodle). Well, both were very delicious and I really liked the fish.
Photo did not turn out that well but they were really tasty...
Service was very good, very efficient and attentive. Oh yes, the restaurant also passed my toilet check!
I think downstairs must have been recently renovated as when you go down the steps, it suddenly becomes modern in semi dark blue lightening ... it was a bit like a maze or in fact like a labyrinth. I got nearly lost the way back to the restaurant. My husband said "just follow the arrow" and I did and got confused as the door I thought I walked through from the restaurant did not seem the same door to me. But he was right.  I just followed the arrow again and came back to the same door that I rejected earlier.  So I push the door and voila, I came back to the restaurant, Yey! (I must admit I was a bit worried, thinking what I would do if I got stuck in the corridor, imagining myself in the Twilight Zone!!!)

Anyway, according to their website, they are doing the special offer of 1/2 price main dishes every evening (but Wed - Fri you must order before 7pm and Saturday before 6.45pm). This is a great deal. You should look at their A La Carte menu ... so many choices. Just reading the menu, imaging what they would taste like make my mouth watering, Mmmmmm.

By the time we finished our meal, the place was full and so as our stomach but the portion was just right and we left the restaurant feeling really content.

My husband loves Chinese food. In fact he could eat it every day if he has a choice. Maybe we go back there for dinner one evening, taking advantage of the special offer. And I now know that I just need to remember that I follow the arrow from the labyrinth.

That's all forks!

No comments: